PHOTOS: Over 100 Welcomed at Open House
Honored guests included students, local reporters, mosque leaders, non-profit partners, scholars, professionals and other community members as they experienced the new space. Check out the photo album!
Obama Administration Upholds Secrecy in Torture Case
Kevin Vodak | Feb.12.09
Staff Attorney, Kevin Vodak, discusses a lawsuit filed by the ACLU on behalf of torture victims that was dismissed under the Bush administration. Rather than reversing the ruling, the current administration and the new Department of Justice uphold the secrecy defense that led to the dismissal.
• A Muslim woman was abruptly terminated after taking time off to attend an Eid prayer session. CAIR-Chicago is investigating the matter and will take whatever action deemed necessary to resolve the issue.
• A Muslim woman reported that her application for citizenship was denied. CAIR-Chicago will advise the woman of her options after further reviewing the matter.
• Two Muslims contacted CAIR-Chicago regarding delays in obtaining citizenship. Both individuals applied for citizenship, completed all the necessary requirements, but have not been scheduled for an oath. CAIR-Chicago is incorporating these cases into its Citizenship Delay Project.
• A Muslim man was denied air travel because he was flagged on the TSA no fly list. CAIR-Chicago is further investigating the issue and will take whatever action deemed necessary to resolve the matter.
• Five Muslim men in prison requested religious material, icluding Qu'rans, prayer rugs and Islamic books. CAIR-Chicago is connecting them with organizations that can provide these materials for them.
• A Muslim man was conducting a deposit transaction at a bank he has often gone to. During this specific visit, three tellers rudely asked him for his identification and if he did not present his identification, they advised him to go to another bank. CAIR-Chicago offered to send a letter requesting an apology and clarification of bank policy on the man’s behalf.
CAIR-CHICAGO ANNUAL BANQUET: MARCH 7, 2009
CAIR-CHICAGO IS OFFERING 18 INTERNSHIPS FOR THIS WINTER AND SPRING. APPLY TODAY!
Civil Rights Director
Senior Outreach Coordinator
Cultural Sensitivity Speaker
Kevin Vodak, Esq.
Board of Directors
Shahwar Syed, MD
Hina Sodha, Esq.
Yaser Tabbara, Esq. - Secretary
Mazen Kudaimi, MD - Vice President
Safaa Zarzour, Esq. - President